Tuesday, March 24, 2020

My Year of Redesigning Life Week 1 - Enjoying Self Sufficiency

I read a Native American short story when travelling in Alaska many years ago. It was about two old women who were left in the woods to die by their tribe. Possibly the natural flow of events in their culture at that time, they were seen to be too old and a drain on the group. They were quite elderly and weak but to their credit they decided that they weren’t going to take it lying down and certainly weren't willing to die. Their story continued outlining how they overcame their fears and challenges, got themselves organized, doing first things first, and learnt how to fend for themselves in a different context. They drew on their wisdom, built on their strengths and ultimately thrived for many a long year. It was a pretty inspiring story. Well, I’m not exactly elderly but I am in a high risk category and I’m over 60 so this is my story at the time of a Pandemic. I had already made a big batch of fermented cabbage (sauerkraut if you like) as I had just moved house so was re-establishing a practice I already had in place. Good flavour, good gut health, cabbage in season and cheap as chips to make. OK Step 1 done. I need to make a plan for what is going to help me thrive at this time as I reckon this could be for the long haul. I am not talking about doing a Claire Dunn, I am definitely stocking up on matches, but I get that to stay healthy, fit and psychologically well, I am not going to get all my needs met a supermarket. Growing plants I guess. I have read the theory, even done a Permaculture Design Course but my previous veggie growing attempts have been somewhat lacklustre. Better study up,buy some seeds and get to it. I already know I ain't going to get them at Bunnings. It’s wisdom that plans ahead and it does seem to be an immediate priority. I'll let you know how I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment